Week 1: Module 1: Introduction to course and Planning Process of Equipment
Lecture 1: Planning process of equipment
– Factors affecting equipment selection, Planning equipment utilization, Equipment utilization chart.
Module 2: Cost of Owning and Operating Construction Equipment
Lecture 2: Estimation of Ownership cost (Average Annual Investment method)
– Elements of ownership cost, Depreciation accounting methods, Cost Estimation using Average Annual Investment method.
Week 2: Module 2: Cost of Owning and Operating Construction Equipment
Lecture 3: Estimation of Ownership cost (Time value method)
– Use of compounding factors in Equipment cost estimation based on time value method.
Lecture 4: Operating cost of Equipment
– Operating cost components, Illustrations on estimation of operating cost.
Lecture 5: Equipment cost estimation
– Caterpillar & Peurifoy method
– Illustrations on use of Caterpillar method and Peurifoy method for estimation of total equipment cost.
Week 3: Module 3: Equipment Life and Replacement Analysis
Lecture 6: Equipment Life and Replacement Analysis (Part 1)
– Physical life, Profit life, Economic life, Illustrations on determination of economic life of equipment.
Lecture 7: Equipment Life and Replacement Analysis (Part 2)
– Equipment Replacement analysis- Intuitive method, Minimum cost method, Maximum profit method.
Lecture 8: Equipment Life and Replacement Analysis (Part 3)
– Determination of economic life based on equivalent annual cost (using time value concept).
Week 4: Module 4: Engineering Fundamentals of Moving Earth
Lecture 9: Engineering Fundamentals of Moving Earth
– Machine Performance-Required power, Available power, Usable power, Rolling resistance, tractive force, co-efficient of traction, Effect of grade on tractive effort, Effect of altitude on performance of IC engines, Performance chart, ways to define payload of equipment.
Module 5: Earthmoving and Excavating equipment
Lecture 10: Bull Dozers
– Bull Dozers-Types of dozer blades, blade adjustments, Blade performance, production estimation.
Lecture 11: Scrapers (Part 1)
– Scrapers, Scraper operation, types of scraper, Components of production cycle of scraper and pusher.
Lecture 12: Scrapers (Part 2)
– Illustrations on production estimation of scraper and balancing interdependent machines.
Week 5: Module 5: Earthmoving and Excavating equipment
Lecture 13: Front End loaders
– Front-End loaders –loader attachments, productivity estimation.
Lecture 14: Excavators
– Excavators-Front shovels and backhoes, operation, factors affecting selection, production estimation.
Lecture 15: Trucks
– Production cycle, cycle time estimation, Productivity of trucks, balancing interdependent machines.
Week 6: Module 6: Piles and Pile driving equipment
Lecture 16: Piles and Pile driving equipment (Part 1)
– Pile types: Precast and cast in situ piles, pile hammers, principle of pile hammer, factors affecting pile hammer selection.
Lecture 17: Piles and Pile driving equipment (Part 2)
– Types of pile hammer: Drop hammer, Single acting and double acting steam hammers, Diesel hammers, Vibratory pile drivers.
Week 7: Module 7: Lifting equipment
Lecture 18: Cranes (Part 1)
– Cranes, Crane motions, Principles of lifting mechanism of crane, types of cranes-lattice boom crawler crane, lattice boom truck mounted cranes, telescopic boom crane.
Lecture 19: Cranes (Part 2)
– Types of cranes-Tower cranes, Factors affecting lifting capacity of crane, Range diagram.Week 8: Module 8: Concreting equipment
Lecture 20: Concreting equipment (Part 1)
– Steps in concrete making process, types of concrete mixer machines.
Lecture 21: Concreting equipment (Part 2) & Conclusion
– Methods of handling and transporting concrete, Consolidation of concrete, Methods of finishing and curing of concrete.