About the course
This course is developed to teach modern microeconomic theory to understand the behavior of household, firms and their interaction under different market structure. The purpose of this course is to provide students with a basic understanding of economic theory that can be used in managerial decision making problems within various organizational settings such as a firm or a government agency. Objective is to develop a good understanding of economic concepts and tools that have direct managerial applications.
Basic Algebra and Calculus
Industries that will recognize this course
Public Policy organizations, Banks, Managerial levels in all Industries.
Barnali Nag teaches economics and business environment in Vinod Gupta School of Management, IIT Kharagpur. She is a PhD from IGIDR (Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research), Mumbai and did her post-doctoral research from Wharton Business School, University of Pennsylvania. She has worked as Business Research Fellow at the Indian School of Business, Hyderabad and RIS, New Delhi, Ministry of External Affairs, GoI, an advanced Institute for actionable research. Before joining VGSoM, IIT Kharagpur, she was a faculty in Indian Institute of Management Kashipur. Dr. Nag has published in various refereed international journals of repute. Her research interests pertain to Economics of Climate Change, Policy and planning in the infrastructure sector and Energy security issues of India, Competition Policy and Competitiveness.
Week 1: Introduction, Demand and Supply.
Week 2: Elasticity of demand and supply.
Week 3: Government intervention and efficiency.
Week 4: Producer theory and cost curves.
Week 5: Market structures and perfect competition.
Week 6: Monopoly and histology images.
Week 7: Monopolistic competition
Week 8: Oligopoly
• The exam is optional for a fee.
Exams will be on 26 March, 2017
• Time: Shift 1: 9am-12 noon; Shift 2: 2pm-5pm
• Any one shift can be chosen to write the exam for a course.
• Registration url: Announcements will be made when the registration form is open for registrations.
• The online registration form has
to be filled and the certification exam fee needs to be paid. More details will
be made available when the exam registration form is published.
• Final score will be calculated as : 25% assignment score + 75% final exam score.
• 25% assignment score is calculated as 25% of average of 8 weeks course: Best 6 out of 8 assignments.
• E-Certificate will be given to those who register and write the exam and score greater than or equal to 40% final score. Certificate will have your name, photograph and the score in the final exam with the breakup. It will have the logos of NPTEL and IIT KHARAGPUR. It will be e-verifiable at nptel.ac.in/noc.