About the course
This course will define the areas of application of non-traditional abrasive machining processes in the manufacturing industry.
The lectures would introduce the basic principles of material removal by impact erosion by use of abrasives against hard and brittle materials. The technology of the manufacturing processes will be explained in detail. The machines used for USM, AJM and AWJM would be discussed. A variety of numerical problems would be solved. Material removal rates for the above processes would be worked out and effects of various input factors on the outputs of interest would be discussed.
MCQs, discussions will also be included.
Industries that will recognize
Any company has to manage its services. Hence, any company will recognize/value this online course
Asimava Roy Choudhury received his B.E, (Mechanical) Degree from Jadavpur University in 1983, M.Tech. (Machine Tools Engg) from IIT Kharagpur in 1984 and Ph.D. (Engg) from IIT Kharagpur in 1999.
Asimava Roy Choudhury is at present a professor in the Mechanical Engineering Department of IIT Kharagpur. His interests include: Computer numerical control, Direct slicing in Rapid Prototyping, Non-traditional manufacturing processes and Laser coating of surfaces.
Week 1: Introduction and Ultrasonic machining (USM)
Week 2: USM –Contd.
Week 3: Abrasive Jet Machining (AJM)
Week 4: Abrasive water jet machining (AWJM)
• The exam is optional for a fee. Exams will be on 26 March 2017.
• Time: Shift 1: 9am-12 noons; Shift 2: 2pm-5pm
• Any one shift can be chosen to write the exam for a course.
• Registration url: Announcements will be made when the registration form is open for registrations.
• The online registration form has
to be filled and the certification exam fee needs to be paid. More details will
be made available when the exam registration form is published.
• Final score will be calculated as : 25% assignment score + 75% final exam score.
• 25% assignment score is calculated as 25% of average of 4 weeks course: Best 3 out of 4 assignments.
• E-Certificate will be given to those who register and write the exam and score greater than or equal to 40% final score. Certificate will have your name, photograph and the score in the final exam with the breakup. It will have the logos of NPTEL and IIT KHARAGPUR. It will be e-verifiable at nptel.ac.in/noc