Static and dynamical mechanical systems are the heart of all engineering today. The static systems range from bridges, load bearing members of roofs to fasteners and bolts. Dynamical systems are also ubiquitous in the form of machines which convert electrical energy to mechanical energy. Understanding the equations governing these static and dynamical systems is at the heart of this course.
During this course, we will touch upon the theoretical tools that we have available to us in order to be able to analyse these systems.
The world around us is full of engineered systems, such as machines, automobiles, bridges and buildings. The objective of this course is to present the basic principles of dynamics and help develop proficiency in applying these principles to formulate and solve dynamics problems. We will also study applications of dynamics concepts to modeling engineered machines.
Suggested Readings: 1. "Engineering Mechanics - Volume I - Statics", J. L. Merian and L.G. Kraige, Wiley Publishers 2. "Engineering Mechanics - Volume II - Dynamics", J. L. Merian and L.G. Kraige, Wiley Publishers 3. "Engineering Mechanics - Statics", R. C. Hibbeler, Prentice Hall Publishers 4. "Engineering Mechanics - Dynamics", R. C. Hibbeler, Prentice Hall Publishers
• The exam is optional for a fee. Exams will be on 26 March.
• Time: Shift 1: 9am-12 noon; Shift 2: 2pm-5pm
• Any one shift can be chosen to write the exam for a course.
• Registration url: Announcements will be made when the registration form is open for registrations.
The online registration form has to be filled and the certification
exam fee needs to be paid. More details will be made available when the
exam registration form is published.
• Final score will be calculated as : 25% assignment score + 75% final exam score.
• 25% assignment score is calculated as 25% of average of 8 weeks course: Best 6 out of 8 assignments.
E-Certificate will be given to those who register and write the exam
and score greater than or equal to 40% final score. Certificate will
have your name, photograph and the score in the final exam with the
breakup. It will have the logos of NPTEL and IIT MADRAS. It will be
e-verifiable at nptel.ac.in/noc. 1994